Sunday, October 9, 2011

eLearning module: my prototype prototype of learning intervention

I've been spending the past week to read some of the background articles on eLearning. To be honost, I've been involved in eLearning and eFundraising since 2003 on various fronts: in the NGO sector as consultant for UNICEF, MSF, CANSA and various other organisations, but never read an academic article about the topic. It is great to read and to learn the theory behind the practice, but it is very difficult not to fall asleep when you also have a nerwborn in the house - and where every minute of sleep is precious!

I'm struggling to find an appropriate project for this module.  I don't want to make it too big, because I also need time to finish my dissertation which must be finished by 10 November.

Please give me advise which project I should attempt:
  1. To develop an longitudinal ePortfolio framework for students to record their own development in terms of the Faculty's graduate attributes for the duration of their studies. There is a big need to develop such a framework, allowing students to plan, reflect and  assess their own growth. I need to do this anyway for our Faculty within the next 6 months, but how far is far enough for this module. It may be too ambitious for the timeframe allowed.
  2. An easier project  will be to reform the excisting eLearning module for students on their rural clinical rotation during their Middle Rotation.
  3. Or to revise the eLearning Module for the Middle Rotation in Psychiatry.
Do you have any ideas.  JP, what do you think?




1 comment:

  1. Dear Stef
    I do understand both your experiences of working intuitively and then incorporating theory, as well as no sleep because of a newcomer to the earth! I am worried about the research thesis running concurrently, and I think some other fellow-students also are in this predicament.

    Al three projects you mention are in a sense unique as they do not start off with a specific technology, but ask the design question (framework, revise, reform etc). This is the first time that someone wants to do the assignment in this way.

    I am totally OK with it as it will share broader processes around planning for incorporating e-Learning. I think though that you should in the process also show-case or focus on a specific technology and how that will be incorporated into the bigger scheme of things.

    I do like your first idea the most as it is new and sounds fascinating to say the least. But I agree that it might be too broad and bog to really finish anything in the allotted time.

    Suggestion: Choose a smaller process containing a specific technology/ technology service that will form part of the bigger re-curricular process. Build your design according to ADDIE around that small idea. This will definitely show your thoughts on the process and will be a great way of showing how design of anything always forms part of bigger processes.

    Looking forward - I am sure it will be excellent.

    JP

    ReplyDelete