The cognitive overload in most PowerPoint presentations are most often not compatible with how the brain learn. Despite this, medical teachers - who are suppose to know how the brain functions - neglect basic principles of adult learning.
It is demonstrated here.
Sources:
Cognitive load [Online]. 2011. Available: http://www.articulate.com/community/blogdemo/celltower03/player.html [2011, November, 2].
Zull, J.E. 2002. The art of changing the brain. Sterling: Stylus Publishing.
It is demonstrated here.
Sources:
Cognitive load [Online]. 2011. Available: http://www.articulate.com/community/blogdemo/celltower03/player.html [2011, November, 2].
Zull, J.E. 2002. The art of changing the brain. Sterling: Stylus Publishing.
Thanks Stef. I am definitely a visual learner - and found the first two slides boring - actually skipped them quickly to get to the last two. But the last one was my favourite. Good lesson here.
ReplyDeleteI also liked the last one - but I guess by the time I got to the last one, I already "knew" the text - so difficult to really compare.
ReplyDeleteBut yes, there are good and interesting ways to address the cognitive load issue.
Hi Stef
ReplyDeleteYes, one can comment on Wiki pages in Blackboard.
JP